Thursday 13 January 2011

Window on Wildlife (14): Caretta caretta

My 'turtle' photo

I was writing one of my 'turtle' cards this afternoon when I came across the term, 'Caretta caretta', in the latest issue of The Dawntreader (Indigo Dreams Publishing).

I was delighted when I found this poem, 'The Lost Egg of Caretta caretta', on the web. The ecological forum belongs to the Katelios Group, which concerns itself with sea turtles, the environment and volunteers in Kefalonia (of 'Mandolin' fame). 

I thought you might like to take a look at my turtle photo, which graced the card I was writing earlier. The picture was taken a little way round the Peloponnesian coast from Pylos (of Homeric fame). The strange thing is that I was pretty convinced that the Caretta caretta sea turtle had eluded us on our week-long Greek Odyssey. . . until I uploaded the photo above on our return to Wales.

Do YOU see a turtle there? Sometimes I wonder if there are two . . .

2 comments:

Marc Latham said...

Amazing colours Caroline. Thought it was oil at first, but looks nice and clear on closer look.

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI Caroline, thanks for posting the link to this on my blog so I came back to have another look, yes i can see a turtle here...