Saturday 19 December 2009

Seasonal Spotlight (3): Mince Pies and Dylan Thomas

Yesterday,
A Mince Pie Afternoon


(Do please let us know if you bake special biscuits, cookies or cakes at this time of year!)

I wonder if you have read 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' by Dylan Thomas. I love the illustrations in my copy by Edward Ardizzone. The descriptions are wonderful: why not add a pinch of the following to your Christmas reading recipes:

'Then I would be slap-dashing home,
the gravy smell of the dinners of others,
... the pudding and mince, coiling up to my nostrils,
when out of a snow-clogged side lane
would come a boy the spit of myself...'

Dylan Thomas

P.S. Steven of The Golden Fish has posted a wonderful James Joyce description of the rich and regimented fare of Christmas Past: do take a look, and keep an eye open for the wonderful seasonal painting at the end of the post while you are there!

2 comments:

steven said...

caroline - please e-mail me a mince pie! i love them. i also love dylan thomas - everything! but a child's christmas in wales - well it's special and beautiful. have a lovely evening. steven

poefusion said...

i'll be making some more candy next week. other than that my Christmas consists of waiting to visit others. love the poem you posted by Dylan Thomas. have a great night.