Thursday 16 July 2009

Buried Treasure: Tenby, 'Thalatta! Thalatta!'


Seth Apter of the Altered Page is hosting his 'Buried Treasure' event for those of us who have been taking part in his DisCo project (Disintegration Collaboration). Seth has asked participants to post a favourite blog entry from a while back. I have chosen one on Tenby, which you can read below. A year has elapsed, and I have now passed my National Open College Network programme in Art ('Arts and Crafts: Developing Basic Design Skills'). I have the certificate to prove it!

You can see two of my experimental card designs above. The red one formed part of my final portfolio: the blue one was fun to do! This is the old post (and my thanks to the Weaver of Grass for reminding me about Buried Treasure - see here, too!) ...


We were in Tenby (South Wales, UK) recently so that I could take photographs for my 'Design' course project. I decided to focus on the theme of 'Thalatta! Thalatta!' ('The sea! The sea!' - Xenophon), since the Tenby Sea Water Bath building has a Greek inscription on it. You can read the translation on the Blue Plaque. You may or may not agree with the sentiment ...

It seems an age ago since I began to learn Classical Greek at Newcastle (1979!).

While we were in Tenby, we thoroughly enjoyed seeing the art of Augustus John, Gwen John and others in the Tenby Museum and Art Gallery

First posted 11 June 20087 at 21.57 UK summer time.

P.S. You might like to see my thalatta poem on Dr Marc Latham's Folding Mirror Poetry site.

4 comments:

John M. Mora said...

"the sea washes all ....

Ginny Gaskill said...

Love the graphic look on this post.

Seth said...

Thanks for joining in. Both of these are just wonderful. Such vivid colors and great design.

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

You have a good eye! Thanks for sharing.