|First impressions on a cold day with snow and sleet ...|
|Roundhouse Roof, with Antony Gormley Sculpture|
The Roundhouse, a Grade II* listed building and registered charity in Chalk Farm, dates from 1846, when it was constructed as a steam-engine repair shed, complete with turntable. Grade II* buildings are particularly important buildings of more than special interest. 5.5% of all listed buildings in Britain have this rating attached to them. Some ten years later, the Roundhouse became a production warehouse for Gilbey's Gin. It fell out of use before World War II.
|Link to www.transportheritage here for more Roundhouse facts|
The playwright, Arnold Wesker, and his Centre 42 Theatre Company made the Roundhouse their base for part of the 1960s. The venue closed in 1983. Its next chapter began in 1996 when Sir Torquil Norman of the Norman Trust bought the it and began to introduce a programme of artistic events once more. After a further closure, a period of overhaul took place in 2004, under the auspices of architects John McAslan + Partners.
These days the Roundhouse, with its slate roof and cast and wrought iron supports, is known as a legendary venue for artists and their followers. It has been described as 'the crown jewel of Camden’s performing arts scene'. The venue has hosted music festivals, theatre, circus, installations, the BBC Electric Proms and the Royal Shakespeare Company’s Histories. Artists such as of Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney and The Who have performed here.
|Reflections and Echoes: The Roundhouse Tunnels|
|The adjoining restaurant-cafe bar comes highly recommended!|
|More snow in the air, about to fall ...|