Tuesday 12 January 2010

Conservation Corner (2): Lundy Island


A Maritime Conservation Creature!


Mumbles Lighthouse,

snow on Exmoor beyond,
Lundy to the right (beyond the photograph)


Here in Swansea, I often find myself gazing out to the Mumbles Lighthouse, in the direction of Devon. There is a small island out there in the Bristol Channel called Lundy. I am delighted to read that it has just been designated England's first Maritime Conservation Zone.

Lundy and its waters are the home of seals, corals and lobsters. Take a look at some of the inhabitants in this BBC footage.

2 comments:

Susan Richardson said...

Very good news about Lundy, Caroline. It's on my list of places I'd love to visit this year too! Have you ever been?

Caroline Gill said...

No, Susan, I'd love to go ... but I'm a bit of a fair weather sailor!