Monday 15 December 2008

Birds and Bierds

The rule of three?

I am always interested to find new bird poems, and today I came across a review by David Barber (poetry editor of The Atlantic) of Flight: New & Selected Poems by Linda Bierds. I thought Barber raised some interesting points about the constantly changing relationship between science and the arts. I particularly noted the mention of the famous Keats and Newton discourse on rainbows, the reference to Poe on 'vultures' and the CP Snow allusion.

I also liked the red cardinal on the tree in the picture accompanying the review: it reminded me of one of the pictures in my childhood set of pelmonism cards and of how hopeless I always was at that game!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is loading very slow for me and maybe other readers. I can't see anything. You should check it with an internet speed test.

--->Free Internet Speed Test<---

Caroline Gill said...

What about the rest of you?

Mistlethrush said...

I've no problem loading the page. One click and it's loaded a second later.

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, Mistlethrush: it's good to have friends like you aboard!